Sunday, June 24, 2007

Work starts tomorrow

Since I returned, I haven't been doing much work. Mostly I've been catching up on TV and hanging out with Joe. I did manage to visit my advisor at his new house to fill him in on the details of the actual study. He's going to try to put a panel together for ICA on how to do research in crazy settings, and I definitely have plenty to say on that!

I went in practically every day last week trying to get my expenses entered into HopkinsOne. It's the dumbest system on the planet. My travel request had been granted with my travel advnace on one trip number. Then, on a separate trip number, my flight had been reimbursed. This apparently allowed my flight to reimbursed in a timely fashion instead of when I returned from the trip. But it also had the effect of screwing things up with the travel advance, because we couldn't enter any receipts since it was like, you already got reimbursed for those dates. Basically, it allowed our office to enter in something that then totally screwed it up. It's all well and good for them to say, don't enter things that way, but it's preferable for the system to just not let you enter things that way if it's the wrong thing to do. Anyway, the higher ups had to tweak it so that we could enter receipts. We entered all the big ones, with minor hassles along the way trying to make the system not suck, and then shoved the rest into the giant per diem category. It all worked out.

So, tomorrow I start work on my dissertation and other projects. This includes a paper my advisor and I are writing using the old midterm data due July 30. And it also includes osme new potential papers for a Comm Theory call for papers on interpersonal communication and campaigns. Devepending on how much overlap there is between these manuscripts and my dissertation, I may switch to a 3-manuscript format, but I'm only inclined to do that if the pros really outweigh the cons because I can hammer out a traditional format very quickly.

Tomorrow I think I'll start putting some things into the methods section. Things like, "After the chief welcomed us to the village, someone gave a prayer."

I stil have no job, but I signed up for a bunch of federal loans in case the CDC thing doesn't happen!

No comments: