Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday, oh Friday

If you're reviewing a paper, before letting forth a spew of verbal diarrhea about all the things that you find confusing or weird about the paper, maybe you should try looking back at the paper to see if what you're confused about is actually explained. Thanks. People will have a lot more respect for your comments.

Of course, I'd also have a lot more respect for the positive reviews if they bothered to make comments instead of just scores.

My NCA paper landed in kind of a random panel that I'm sure will be perfectly lovely, but I think I'm going to let my advisor cover it, since he has other stuff going on for that conference and I'm keen on only one visit to San Diego this fall (if I'm going to bother going west, I have other places I want to and ought to go).

I've been working on both my thesis defense presentation and my class this week. The presentation is supposed to be 40 minutes, which is as long as I had for my job talk, but now I have so many other things to talk about also. I'm not really sure how it's all going to fit. In terms of class stuff, I've been perusing prior years and other syllabi from up the road and realizing that I have a pretty clear notion of the range of things that should be taught in an intro to SBS class. Of course there are more things that I can really fit, so I have to weed out some stuff. But it's nice to feel authoritative enough to have an independent opinion and to be able to critique and change how it's been done before instead of just having to copy it because I don't know what else to do.

No comments: