Thursday, April 12, 2007

Nsima and beef

First of all, I'd just like to say that I'm glad most of you are asleep when I post, so I have time to remove notes to my boyfriend that I accidentally pasted into my post. Maybe I shouldn't keep those notes in the same document...

Second, I went and got some nsima and beef for lunch today. The meal was $1.71, and the place I got it was this little restaurant where the women served things from lots of crockpots. It smelled kind of like a barn, but the food was tasty (I brought it back to the office, though). Nsima is a corn mash that looks a lot like really thick mashed potatoes. But it's a lot denser and stickier. And it's pretty bland. But, it's tasty enough with the "relish," which is the stuff that comes with it. Today this was beef (some of which was extremely chewy, but most of which was tasty), beans and some kind of green vegetable all chopped up in a delightful sauce. The sauce made the nsima taste lots better. I felt bad that I couldn't eat all the nsima, but it was a ton... kind of like all the rice they give you when you get takeout some places.

1 comment:

Jenn the Bacontarian said...

Dang it! I now have a perpetual Cher track running through my head. :) The anecdotes are great, keep 'em coming!