Thursday, March 01, 2007

Unqualified

I will be taking my second and final oral exam next week, the schoolwides. After I pass (fairly sure thing), I will be deemed qualified to complete independent research.

Hahahahahaha.

In reality, I'm really only qualified to fake it at this point. And it would be one thing if I were doing my research here. I could fake it pretty good here. But I'm going to be doing my research in this totally strange and faraway place, and I can barely begin to do basic things like figure out a budget. How much will a research assistant cost? How much will a room cost to do the study? I have no idea. How far away are all the places I need to go? If I knew I had to travel from Baltimore to New York, I would know how to do that and roughly what it would cost. But if I have to travel from Lilongwe to Blantyre or some little village... I have no idea. Basically I'm diving into independent research in a situation where all the regular parameters are unfamiliar.

It's nuts!

No comments: